Making sure our products, processes and equipment are fit for purpose is an essential role in our business. This latest apprenticeship from GSK provides technical capabilities in the manufacture, support and troubleshooting of new and existing drug products produced at our pharmaceutical production sites.
You will develop, execute and complete technical projects, resolve drug product related production and laboratory issues and look to continuously improve existing processes all of which are important steps in the supply chain, demonstrating that we are actively improving the quality of our customers’ lives by consistently delivering products of the highest possible quality.
What does a `computerized system validation apprenticeship involve?
This latest apprenticeship from GSK will provide you with the opportunity to gain knowledge about quality, engineering and manufacturing in the pharmaceutical industry. Through a series of on-site job rotations you will:
- gain an understanding of a broad range of pharmaceutical equipment and processes as well as an understanding of their potential impact on product, quality and patient safety
- gain an understanding of how to validate the processes and equipment to ensure they are fit for purpose
- develop an understanding of pharmaceutical regulatory requirements and their application within a pharmaceutical manufacturing environment.
- gain experience with computerized systems used to monitor and analyze the manufacture of pharmaceutical products
- gain an understanding of the automation used to monitor and control equipment/systems used to manufacture pharmaceutical products
You can expect to work both individually (when appropriately trained) and as part of a team - taking responsibility for the quality, safety and accuracy of the work you undertake.
Your on-the-job learning will be combined with a program of training and development. Your role might involve:
- being part of a team introducing new equipment or processes
- writing technical reports and protocols for new equipment or processes
- running project meetings
- finding the root cause of problems
- identifying areas for improvement
- ensuring quality, safety and accuracy
- participating on projects to convert manual processes to digital processes (digital transformation)
- participating on projects to update, expand or improve equipment automation
What does this apprenticeship offer me?
Our computerized system validation apprenticeship offers you the chance to study fully funded towards nationally recognized qualifications while gaining valuable, paid work experience. You will work towards an Associate’s Degree (AAS at one of GSK’s partnering community colleges with the potential to go on to further study. Upon completion of the 2 - 4 year program, you will also receive a Certificate of Apprenticeship Completion from the US Department of Labor, an industry issued, portable nationally recognized credential that certifies occupational proficiency.
What qualifications do I need to apply?
To be eligible for our validation apprenticeship program, you will need:
- High school diploma or equivalency diploma (such as TACC or GED)
- High school GPA B (2.5) or above (4.0 scale)
- High school math and English (GPA 2.5 or above in each case)
- Less than 2 year’s industry related work experience
Where will I be based?
The program runs at our Rockville, MD and Upper Merion, PA sites.
What our apprentices say about the Computer System Validation Technician apprenticeship:
Since I started as a validation apprentice I have enjoyed looking into all of the different roles that GSK offer to people, and gaining a greater understanding of how the site runs on a day to day basis.
When can I start?
Our apprenticeships start August 2019.
How can I apply?
- Applications for 2019 are closed
- Register your interest for 2020 placements
Learn more about our apprenticeship program
Meet our apprentices
Our apprenticeship locations
GSK offers apprenticeships across many of our sites in the US.
Development and benefits
As a GSK employee, our apprentices are rewarded for their work and recognized for their achievements.
Parents and teachers
What do you envision for your child’s or student’s future?
Application tips and process
We are delighted you have decided that a GSK apprenticeship is where you want to launch your career.