Our biochemist associate apprenticeship will equip you with the skills and knowledge to tackle a variety of scientific challenges working in our biopharm manufacturing laboratories – the heartbeat of our company.
Achieve your career goals on our apprentice program
Our biochemist associate apprenticeship offers you the chance to study fully funded towards nationally recognized qualification while gaining valuable, paid work experience.
Over the course of this 3- to 4-year program you will spend most of your week at the labs in our biopharm manufacturing site receiving tailored on-the-job training from our in-house industry experts, combined with early responsibility to help you develop and progress.
You will also study part time at Montgomery County Community College working towards an Associate’s degree (AAS) in Biotechnology at Montgomery County Community College, fully funded by GSK, with the potential to go on to further study.
Upon completion of the program, you will also receive a Certificate of Apprenticeship Completion from the US Department of Labor, an industry issued, portable nationally recognized credential that certifies occupational proficiency
Working with both your line and program manager we want to identify the right opportunities to help you succeed in the short term and throughout your career with us. You will also be assigned a buddy or a mentor who will be there to offer support and guidance throughout your apprenticeship.
What will you do?
The biochemist associate apprenticeship will provide you with the opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge in a number of areas. These might include:
- Operating specialist laboratory equipment and instrumentation to test our products and raw materials
- Learning about the process each drug or product follows through to full scale manufacturing.
- Conducting microbiological & environmental sampling and testing
- Operating specialist equipment to improve testing procedures
- Developing your knowledge in analytical chemistry
You’ll be excited by the thought of developing your personal skills such as reasoning, communication, problem solving, team working, relationship building and influencing.
What qualifications do you need?
To be eligible for our biochemist associate apprenticeship program, you will need:
- High school diploma or equivalency diploma (such as TACC or GED)
- High school GPA B (2.5) or above (4.0 scale)
- High school math and english (GPA 2.5 or above in each case)
- High school chemistry or biology (GPA 2.5 or above in each case)
- Less than 2 year’s industry related work experience
Where will you be based?
You will be based at one of our manufacturing sites
- Upper Merion, PA
- Recruitment for August 2021 starters will open November 2020
What our apprentices say about the Biochemist Associate apprenticeship...
It feels great to run experiments and they run successfully. Others in the lab are doing the same level of chemistry - I’m never treated differently in the team.”
I’m so proud to get on to the program. I still walk in and think wow! My biggest achievement is, while only a 3rd year Apprentice, I am already an Instrument Owner. There are only two owners across GSK, as it's a new technology."
When does the apprenticeship start?
Our apprenticeships begin August 2021. Recruitment for August 2021 starters will open November 2020.
- A competitive base salary
- An annual bonus
- Benefit programs benchmarked against industry standards
- A recognition program to reward exceptional work by you and your team
- A performance and development program
- A training and development program including opportunities to attend events such as the “Outward Bounds” course
We’re 100% open to all talent
We’re 100% open to all talent – whatever your gender, marital status, religion, age, color, race, sexual orientation, nationality or disability. We want to recruit the right people for GSK from the widest possible backgrounds, so we can better serve the diversity of our patients and consumers and, because it’s the right thing to do.
Need help with your application?
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
GSK is focused on creating an inclusive organization where all employees feel engaged and know their work makes an important contribution. We aim to attract and retain the most talented people from all backgrounds and cultures regardless of actual or perceived race, color, ethnic or national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership, gender identity and/or expression, religion or belief, physical ability/ disability.
Learn more about our apprenticeship program
Meet our apprentices
Our apprenticeship locations
GSK offers apprenticeships across many of our sites in the US.
Development and benefits
As a GSK employee, our apprentices are rewarded for their work and recognized for their achievements.
Parents and teachers
What do you envision for your child’s or student’s future?
Application tips and process
We are delighted you have decided that a GSK apprenticeship is where you want to launch your career.