Our science education programs are focused on generating a STEM workforce through programs that inspire youth to pursue careers in science, technology and math.
Science in the Summer™
A free science education program that helps elementary school children grow to love science.
We want children to discover the wonders of science and consider a career in science one day. That's why we offer Science in the Summer™, a free science education program that helps elementary school children grow to love science. Through classes held in public libraries and other community-based organizations, the program gets kids excited about learning science with hands-on experiments.
In 2018, more than 25,000 students participated in GSK’s Science in the Summer™ program. The program was established in 1986 in Philadelphia, PA, and then offered in the Raleigh-Durham, NC metro area in the summer of 2008. The program expanded nationally in 2017 to an additional 25 sites across the US.
Science in the Summer™ is administered by the Franklin Institute, and the University of North Carolina’s Morehead Planetarium and Science Center in cooperation with participating libraries and community centers.
Summer 2018 was out of this world!
This past summer, thousands of students across the country learned about the Science of Space focusing on the sun, the stars, Earth’s moon, space travel and more when GSK Science in the Summer returned to local libraries and community centers for its 32nd year.
Through active, hands-on learning, elementary school students in second through sixth grades will learned that, through knowledge, education and hard work, that science can be interesting, exciting and challenging, all while they learn the basic STEM skills that will prepare them for academic and professional success.
2018 GSK Science in the Summer™ national sites:
- AAAS (Boys and Girls Clubs) - DC metro
- AAAS (libraries) - Montgomery Co, MD
- Adventure Science Center -Nashville, TN
- Arizona Science Center - Phoenix, AZ
- The Bakken Museum - Minneapolis, MN
- Berkshire Museum - Pittsfield, MA
- Carnegie Science Center - Pittsburgh, PA
- Children’s Creativity Museum - San Francisco, CA
- The Discovery Center - Murfreesboro, TN
- Discovery Museum - Bridgeport, CT
- Exploration Place - Wichita, KS
- Fort Worth Science Museum - Fort Worth, TX
- LA Boys and Girls Club - Los Angeles, CA
- Lawrence Hall of Science Museum - Berkley, CA
- Maine Discovery Museum - Bangor, ME
- miSci - Schenectady, NY
- Museum of Discovery and Science - Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Museum of Nature and Science - Las Cruces, NM
- North Museum of Nature and Science - Lancaster, PA
- Science Central - Fort Wayne, IN
- Science City - Kansas City, MO
- Sci-Port - Shreveport, LA
- Sci-Tech Discovery Center - Frisco, TX
- spectrUM Discovery Area - Missoula, MT
- St. Louis Science Center - St. Louis, MO
2019 sites to be announced soon
Discover more about our science education programs
US Community Partnerships
Across the US, we invest our charitable funds with nonprofit partners that are doing good for people in need in the communities where we live and work.
Science can improve health and well-being in so many ways, from the development of everyday convenience healthcare products through to life-saving medicines and vaccines
Behind the science
Discover more about what we do, the people behind GSK and how we are working to help change the face of healthcare
US Pharmaceuticals Leadership Team
The President of US Pharmaceuticals oversees GSK’s pharmaceuticals and vaccines businesses in the US and Puerto Rico and is assisted by the Commercial Leadership Team.