Maintenance Electrician apprenticeships
We are investing heavily in innovative engineering and manufacturing technology and apprentices are key to helping us deliver our vision.
As a Maintenance Electrician Apprentice, you will have the opportunity to develop electrical skills and learn how to maintain mechanical, electrical, hydraulic and pneumatic equipment involved in the manufacture and packaging of pharmaceutical products.
What does a Maintenance Electrician apprenticeship involve?
Our Maintenance Electrician apprenticeship lasts four years. You will spend part time at college studying theory elements of the apprenticeship and gaining some practical workshop experience and part time learning new skills while rotating through various engineering teams across the site. Your rotations may include time in manufacturing, packaging and utilities
Your apprenticeship will combine on-the-job learning with a program of training and development. Your role may involve:
- Develop electrical skills such as electrical device and component understanding, reading and understanding electrical diagrams, troubleshooting production equipment including robotics.
- Diagnose equipment problems and take corrective action to achieve optimum efficiency
- Maintain and modify electrical production equipment and control systems
- Perform complex troubleshooting, repairs and calibration on measurement devices to improve equipment accuracy and reliability
- Help to co-ordinate projects working with outside contractors, equipment manufacturers and vendors
What will this apprenticeship offer me?
Our Maintenance Electrician apprenticeship offers you the chance to study towards nationally recognized qualifications while gaining valuable, paid work experience. You will work towards an Associate’s Degree (AAS or AOS) at one of GSK’s partnering community colleges or technical institutions with the potential to go on to further study. Upon completion of the 4-year apprenticeship program, you will also receive a Certificate of Apprenticeship Completion from the US Department of Labor, an industry issued, portable nationally recognized credential that certifies occupational proficiency.
What qualifications do I need to apply?
To be eligible for our Maintenance Electrician apprenticeship program, you will need:
- High school diploma or equivalency diploma (such as TACC or GED)
- High school GPA B (2.5) or above (4.0 scale)
- Algebra and Geometry or 2 units equivalent of academic math (GPA 2.5 or above in each case)
- Less than 2 year’s industry related work experience
Where will be based?
Our Maintenance Electrician apprenticeship runs for four years at our Oak Hill, NY site.
When does the apprenticeship start?
Our apprenticeships start in August 2018.
How can I apply?
Apply here for 2018 placements currently open in Oakhill, NY.
GSK is focused on creating an inclusive organisation where all employees feel engaged and know their work makes an important contribution. We aim to attract and retain the most talented people from all backgrounds and cultures regardless of actual or perceived race, colour, ethnic or national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership, gender identity and/or expression, religion or belief, physical ability/ disability.