Automation Technician apprenticeships
We are investing heavily in innovative engineering and manufacturing technology and apprentices are key to helping us deliver our vision.
Our Automation Technician Apprentice Program is designed to create the engineers of the future. As an Automation Technician Apprentice, you will have the opportunity to develop mechanical, electrical & instrumentation or control and automation skills. You will learn how to maintain production equipment – carrying out routine maintenance, diagnosing and resolving breakdowns as well as helping to design, install and test new equipment.
What does an Automation Technician apprenticeship involve?
Our Automation Technician apprenticeship is a paid, four year program. You will attend college part time studying theory elements of the apprenticeship and gaining some practical workshop experience. In addition, you will spend time in the production facility learning new skills while rotating through various engineering teams across the site. Your rotations may include time in manufacturing, packaging, maintenance utilities and/or automation.
Your apprenticeship will combine on-the-job learning with a program of training and development. Your role may involve:
- Develop mechanical, electrical and instrumentation skills
- Learn how to maintain production equipment
- Carry out routine maintenance
- Diagnose and resolve breakdowns
- Help design, install and test new equipment
What will this apprenticeship offer me?
Our Automation Technician apprenticeship offers you the chance to study towards nationally recognized qualifications while gaining valuable, paid work experience. You will work towards an Associate’s Degree (AAS) in Mechatronics at one of GSK’s partnering community colleges or technical institutions with the potential to go on to further study. Upon completion of the 4-year apprenticeship program, you will also receive a Certificate of Apprenticeship Completion from the US Department of Labor, an industry issued, portable nationally recognized credential that certifies occupational proficiency.
What qualifications do I need to apply?
To be eligible for our Automation Technician apprenticeship program, you will need:
- High school diploma or equivalency diploma (such as TACC or GED)
- High school GPA B (2.5) or above (4.0 scale)
- Algebra and Geometry or 2 units equivalent of academic math (GPA 2.5 or above in each case)
- Less than 2 year’s industry related work experience
Where will be based?
Our Automation Technician apprenticeship runs for four years at our sites in Lincoln NE, St Louis MO, Memphis TN and Zebulon NC.
When does the apprenticeship start?
Our apprenticeships start in August 2018.
How can I apply?
- Apply for 2018 placements currently open in Lincoln, NE.
- Apply for 2018 placements currently open in Zebulon, NC.
- Apply for 2018 placements currently open in Memphis, TN.
- Apply for 2018 placements currently open in St. Louis, MO.
GSK is focused on creating an inclusive organisation where all employees feel engaged and know their work makes an important contribution. We aim to attract and retain the most talented people from all backgrounds and cultures regardless of actual or perceived race, colour, ethnic or national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership, gender identity and/or expression, religion or belief, physical ability/ disability.