Science in the Summer™
We want children to discover the wonders of science and consider a career in science one day. That's why we offer Science in the Summer™, a free science education program that helps elementary school children grow to love science. Through classes held in public libraries and other community-based organizations, the program gets kids excited about learning science with hands-on experiments.
In 2015, more than 10,000 students participated in GSK’s Science in the Summer™program. This program was established in 1986 in Philadelphia, PA, and is now offered in the Raleigh-Durham metro area in North Carolina, and Washington, DC. Science in the Summer™is administered in these areas by the Franklin Institute, the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the University of North Carolina’s Morehead Planetarium and Science Center in cooperation with participating libraries and community centers.
Classes are offered in bioscience, chemistry, genetics, oceanography, physical science/electricity, and simple machines. Each class demonstrates how science is directly related to the children’s everyday lives.
- Adventure Science Center - Nashville, TN
- Arizona Science Center - Phoenix, AZ
- Berkshire Museum - Pittsfield, MA
- Carnegie Institute - Pittsburgh, PA
- Discovery Museum - Bridgeport, CT
- Exploration Place Inc. - Wichita, KS
- Kansas City's Science Center - Kansas City, MO
- Maine Discovery Museum - Bangor, ME
- miSci - Schenectady, NY
- Museum of Discovery & Science - Ft Lauderdale, FL
- North Museum - Lancaster, PA
- Pensacola MESS Hall - Pensacola, FL
- Science Central - Ft Wayne, IN
- Science Museum of Minnesota - St Paul, MN
- Sci-Port - Shreveport, LA
- Sci-Tech Discovery - Frisco, TX
- St. Louis Science Center Foundation - St Louis, MO
- The Bakken - Minneapolis, MN
- The Cleveland Museum of Natural History - Cleveland, OH
- University of Montana spectrUM - Missoula, MT