Science in the Summer™
We want children to discover the wonders of science and consider a career in science one day. That's why we offer Science in the Summer™, a free science education program that helps elementary school children grow to love science. Through classes held in public libraries and other community-based organizations, the program gets kids excited about learning science with hands-on experiments.
In 2017, more than 25,000 students participated in GSK’s Science in the Summer™ program. The program was established in 1986 in Philadelphia, PA, and then offered in the Raleigh-Durham, NC metro area in the summer of 2008. The program expanded nationally in 2017 to an additional 25 sites across the US.
Science in the Summer™ is administered by the Franklin Institute, and the University of North Carolina’s Morehead Planetarium and Science Center in cooperation with participating libraries and community centers.
Summer 2018 will be out of this world!
This summer, thousands of students across the country will learn about the Science of Space focusing on the sun, the stars, Earth’s moon, space travel and more when GSK Science in the Summer returns to local libraries and community centers for its 32nd year.
Through active, hands-on learning, elementary school students in second through sixth grades will learn that, through knowledge, education and hard work, worlds beyond ours are attainable – all while they learn the basic STEM skills that will prepare them for academic and professional success.
2018 GSK Science in the Summer™ national sites:
- AAAS (Boys and Girls Clubs) - DC metro
- AAAS (libraries) - Montgomery Co, MD
- Adventure Science Center -Nashville, TN
- Arizona Science Center - Phoenix, AZ
- The Bakken Museum - Minneapolis, MN
- Berkshire Museum - Pittsfield, MA
- Carnegie Science Center - Pittsburgh, PA
- Children’s Creativity Museum - San Francisco, CA
- The Discovery Center - Murfreesboro, TN
- Discovery Museum - Bridgeport, CT
- Exploration Place - Wichita, KS
- Fort Worth Science Museum - Fort Worth, TX
- LA Boys and Girls Club - Los Angeles, CA
- Lawrence Hall of Science Museum - Berkley, CA
- Maine Discovery Museum - Bangor, ME
- miSci - Schenectady, NY
- Museum of Discovery and Science - Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Museum of Nature and Science - Las Cruces, NM
- North Museum of Nature and Science - Lancaster, PA
- Science Central - Fort Wayne, IN
- Science City - Kansas City, MO
- Sci-Port - Shreveport, LA
- Sci-Tech Discovery Center - Frisco, TX
- spectrUM Discovery Area - Missoula, MT
- St. Louis Science Center - St. Louis, MO