Science in the Summer™
We want children to discover the wonders of science and consider a career in science one day. That's why we offer Science in the Summer™, a free science education program that helps elementary school children grow to love science. Through classes held in public libraries and other community-based organizations, the program gets kids excited about learning science with hands-on experiments.
In 2017, more than 25,000 students participated in GSK’s Science in the Summer™ program. The program was established in 1986 in Philadelphia, PA, and then offered in the Raleigh-Durham, NC metro area in the summer of 2008. The program expanded nationally in 2017 to an additional 25 sites across the US.
Science in the Summer™ is administered by the Franklin Institute, and the University of North Carolina’s Morehead Planetarium and Science Center in cooperation with participating libraries and community centers.
Summer 2018 will be out of this world!
This summer, thousands of students across the country will learn about the Science of Space focusing on the sun, the stars, Earth’s moon, space travel and more when GSK Science in the Summer returns to local libraries and community centers for its 32nd year.
Through active, hands-on learning, elementary school students in second through sixth grades will learn that, through knowledge, education and hard work, worlds beyond ours are attainable – all while they learn the basic STEM skills that will prepare them for academic and professional success.
2017 GSK Science in the Summer™ national sites:
- Arizona Science Center - Phoenix, AZ
- The Bakken Museum - Minneapolis, MN
- Berkshire Museum - Pittsfield, MA
- Boys and Girls Club of LA - Los Angeles, CA
- Carnegie Science Center - Pittsburgh, PA
- Discovery Museum - Bridgeport, CT
- EdVenture Children's Museum - Columbia, SC
- Exploration Place - Wichita, KS
- Liberty Science Center - Jersey City, NJ
- Maine Discovery Museum - Bangor, ME
- miSci - Schenectady, NY
- North Museum of Nature and Science - Lancaster, PA
- Science Central - Fort Wayne, IN
- Science City at Union Station - Kansas City, MO
- Science Museum of Minnesota - St. Paul, MN
- Sci-Port - Shreveport, LA
- Sci-Tech Discovery - Frisco, TX
- St. Louis Science Center - St. Louis, MO
- University of Montana, The spectrUM Discovery Area - Missoula, MT
- COSI - Columbus, OH
- The Discovery Center - Murfreesboro, TN
- Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI) - Tampa, FL
- Fort Worth Museum of Science and History - Fort Worth, Texas
- Save the Children USA - Fairfield, CT
- American Association for the Advancement of Science - DC, VA, MD